Muse Collectors Community Forum

boazjachin
+  Muse Collectors Community
|-+  Muse
| |-+  Website
| | |-+  Discography Editing 101
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Discography Editing 101  (Read 5839 times)
Tom
Master of Curiosities
Administrator
Megalomaniac

Collection
View Profile
« on: Apr 14, 03:48:17PM »

Big changes coming soon to Muse Collectors!

I am shortly going to ask a few members to take on the postition of Curator of the discography. I have created a system which is relatively easy to add items to the site.

Anyone logged in as an editor will see this on the discography page:

Notice the extra region flags on the side. When an editor clicks on a flag with incomplete items it shows them the discography but with "+" symbols wherever a countries release is lacking. To insert the German Showbiz for the first time, for example, click the german flag, then click the + above Showbiz to bring up the add page (described later).

Additionally, on every item page of the discography, editors have the ability to add major and minor items (variations). Clicking either of the new tabs will insert an item into that tab. This brings up the add page.

You simply fill in details like Title, release date, tracklist etc. The page pulls in info from other releases to try to fill it out for you. The new showbiz page shown above shows the information it has guessed you will need (release date, tracklist, title), so you just fill in the blanks and correct any details as I have done below:

Once the new item is added, you can add images to it by pressing the "+" button where the images should be.

Adding images is simple, you just upload a jpg with a title and description. Images are displayed in order of upload. You cannot re-order them manually yet.

Once you have your images, you can set the cover image by pressing the small "O" link that corresponds to the image you want to use. This is normally the first one.

Once items are added by editors they are not instantly available to everyone - this is where I come in. I double check the new additions, and if all is good I press a big red button that says publish, and everyone gets to enjoy the new releases.

And voila! We now have the German Showbiz on the website! Once we have a decent amount of items for each region, I will enable them for every user.

Hopefully this will rapidly expand the MC discography, and should be quite an exciting update to the site! I only want a couple editors to begin with as I am very busy, but if it all goes well I may consider opening the system more widely.

I need to make one or two more tweaks to the editing system before its ready to roll. As always, the best place to contribute items is the forums. Once the item has been posted in the forum then it can then go really easily into the site.

Are there any reasonably tech-savvy collectors out there who would be interested in helping me build the discography?
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 03:57:53PM by Tom » Logged

Muse is coming!
nandojoe
Glorious

Collection
Come waste your millions here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 04:07:04PM »

I lack a lot of foreign items except 2 German undisclosed desires CDs.
Even though I lack foreign releases, if given info and scans etc I will happily add them :)

wembley stadium   17.06.07
royal albert hall           12.04.08
02 arena                         13.11.09
wembley stadium                11.09.10
http://musewiki.org/User:The_Groove
addsfsds
Contributor
Ultra

Collection
Remember When We Used To Shine...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 07:45:20PM »

Great to see the foreign releases are starting to appear on the discography section. I have lot of foreign items waiting to be "owned". I have some japanese promos too, including the uk KOC promo with japanese sticker. If infos are needed i'm here to help.

Twitter | Facebook

Prato della Valle, Padova 02.06.2006 (First play of MOTP ever)|Arena di Verona, Verona 16.07.2007|Futurshow Station, Bologna 21.11.2009|San Siro Stadium, Milano 08.06.2010 (Back In Black)| Pesaro and Bologna 2012
oscarbabes
Glorious

Collection
Love is our Resistance

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 08:17:35PM »

I'd love to help expanding the discography Tom :)

(in my opinion)
Sana-Kan
Contributor
Hurricane

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 08:33:54PM »

I'd be glad to contribute ^^^
Tell me when it's ready to roll.

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Tom
Master of Curiosities
Administrator
Megalomaniac

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 09:11:04PM »

One of the difficulties of this is the EU general releases. I'm told that once Taste were abandoned the whole of Europe including the UK shared the same releases - but currently the discography doesn't allow items to have multiple regions (which is why FR is missing The Resistance + many singles)

It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a solution but I need someone to explain the EU situation a bit better..

Muse is coming!
Fele
Contributor
Hurricane

Collection
"yvan eht nioj"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 03:57:22AM »

I would love to contribute in any way Possible, Due to my geographical status I dont know how handy can I be though, I mean,I dont think I own too many French, German or japenese releases But if you consider I can I will be more than willing to  :D .

For the moment I will re-check all my singles cat's, perhaps theres a rare release I overlooked before. And I will inmidiatly will start compilling South american releases, They couldnot be in the browing cathegory by now but it could be useful someday

Keeper of: Doms Tama Starclassic Mirage Acrylic Drums Kit -
Matts Red Glitter Manson MB1 - Floccinaucinihilipilification
-----------------------------------------------------------
It's a Bird!... it's a Plane!... It's Fele wearing his Matt's red Suit!
26/07/2008  - 25/03/2011
addsfsds
Contributor
Ultra

Collection
Remember When We Used To Shine...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 05:57:12PM »

About EU releases. Most of the taste era singles are from Taste, PIAS and Play  it again Sam.
For example, italian version of Plug in baby, muscle museum, Dead star/IYW are single cds only, not cd 1 and cd 2.

I think that it would be a good solution to create an European flag and put there the "shared" releases. I can provide infos about every single i have thati bought here in Italy and see if they are similar with other EU regions releases :)

Twitter | Facebook

Prato della Valle, Padova 02.06.2006 (First play of MOTP ever)|Arena di Verona, Verona 16.07.2007|Futurshow Station, Bologna 21.11.2009|San Siro Stadium, Milano 08.06.2010 (Back In Black)| Pesaro and Bologna 2012
Blackstorm
Hurricane

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 09:43:33PM »

About EU releases. Most of the taste era singles are from Taste, PIAS and Play  it again Sam.

PIAS  and Play It Again Sam are same label , No ?
oscarbabes
Glorious

Collection
Love is our Resistance

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 09:53:00PM »

PIAS  and Play It Again Sam are same label , No ?
Indeed

(in my opinion)
nathanjhunt
Megalomaniac

Collection
Proud pioneer of Muse ukulele covers

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 11:58:46PM »

I could help with the UK releases. As i troll around the pages i notice subtle errors such as incorrect tracklistings or incomplete ie. with the singles and DVD releases. I mean, if i was given access to edit them and given the chance to add pictures it'd be very helpful to the whole community. I promise not to Spam!

Download my band's free CD here:
http://goo.gl/Wqng6u

Like my Muse group on Facebook:
http://goo.gl/Kemwi

Follow me on tumblr:
http://goo.gl/AFPm8
thomasvz
Contributor
Glorious

Collection
music makes people...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 01:38:54PM »

If this idea is still going trough, you could also check discogs for a lot of releases.... There are hundreds of releases shown there!

I hope you're gonna still gonna create the idea, so, Tom, when you got bored, you know what to do! :D
;)
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 01:41:38PM by thomasvz » Logged

Proud collector of Benelux releases! :)
chalyto
Contributor
Uprising

Collection
Hate this & I'll love you...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 08:03:33PM »

Hola! I'm uploading some pictures scanned from my albums on the "+" icon, is it working? because they don't appear =(

·

Tom
Master of Curiosities
Administrator
Megalomaniac

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 03:24:01PM »

At the moment only I have the editing ability. So sorry! Add any scans to the forum and we can add them from there.

I will recruit some helpers at some point, and a few people have graciously asked to help. I am hesitant to roll it out to more people because I fear people may encounter bugs or make editing mistakes that go out on the site.

The intention is to roll out this functionality to many more members.

If there are any willing contributors with a good discography knowledge paired with strong technical knowledge please give me a PM :)

Muse is coming!
chalyto
Contributor
Uprising

Collection

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 05:44:48PM »

·

I'd love to help, but the truth is that I have zero technical knowledge of computing. =P
I can send more scans anytime!

Tom, I have another question! Today I saw in the "Ramdom item" from the home page the "Muse Exclusive Enhanced Sampler cd". I gave him click and add to my collection because I have it. But the question is, are there other cds like that within the page? Because it does not appear in "browse discography." Thanks! =D

numero UNO
Contributor
Glorious

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 06:02:22PM »

Hi Chalyto, if you select "All" in each section of the search areas, every item will come up! Hope this helps!!

numero UNO

I Choose to Survive!!

Muse         13/11/09      02 Arena
  Muse         11/09/10      Wembley Stadium
    Muse         26/10/12       02 Arena
      Muse         Everyday      Anywhere and everywhere
thomasvz
Contributor
Glorious

Collection
music makes people...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 12:53:38PM »

I would still be glad to help with this, even if it is just copying pictures from the forum to the discography!

Proud collector of Benelux releases! :)
muserules
Contributor
Glorious

Collection
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 01:09:34PM »

Yes great idea, this! Would love to help in any way!

nathanjhunt
Megalomaniac

Collection
Proud pioneer of Muse ukulele covers

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 20, 01:49:56AM »

Just a small error. It says the release date is 1st January 1970. Before Matt was even born!
http://www.musecollectors.com/disc.php?id=441

Download my band's free CD here:
http://goo.gl/Wqng6u

Like my Muse group on Facebook:
http://goo.gl/Kemwi

Follow me on tumblr:
http://goo.gl/AFPm8
stingraywings
Hurricane

Collection
Our love is madness...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 20, 02:18:41AM »

Just a small error. It says the release date is 1st January 1970. Before Matt was even born!
http://www.musecollectors.com/disc.php?id=441

This was the promo that the band accidentally sent back through time. It's rumoured that everyone who listened to it were visited by the trio in their dreams, teling them not to leak it when the internet is invented.
Tom
Master of Curiosities
Administrator
Megalomaniac

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 20, 05:51:26PM »

Ahh the first of January 1970. This is the date the sacred baby Unix was born.

Thanks for the bug report, all fixed now.

Muse is coming!
stingraywings
Hurricane

Collection
Our love is madness...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 01, 09:58:51PM »

How does one become a contributor? I'll definitely be interested in helping to add discography items, fix any errors I might find etc. I used to do this sort of thing on Wikipedia a few years ago.
Xaverri
Contributor
Glorious

Collection
Dutchess

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 01, 10:00:25PM »

The contributor thing was when you donated for the competition. I don't bring anything useful to the site except spam and once a hand-written message on a promo ^.^

Still looking for:
Promos: Muse3, Muse14, Muse19, NSC, All promo´s from T2L & Drones
7" Vinyl: MMUK (weirdly/funnily-signed)
Releases: MM EP, first press vinyl´s of OOS & Abso
numero UNO
Contributor
Glorious

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 08:26:10PM »

For example, italian version of Plug in baby, muscle museum, Dead star/IYW are single cds only, not cd 1 and cd 2.

I think that it would be a good solution to create an European flag and put there the "shared" releases. I can provide infos about every single i have thati bought here in Italy and see if they are similar with other EU regions releases :)

There are quite a few sections in "International Releases" Albums/Singles. I would like to ask anybody that can, to start a thread page for the 'Europe, TASTE/PIAS' releases please. I have all I need for the BENELUX region, but I need some reference points for so called 'Italian etc etc' release. If anybody could load scans of what they have in a new thread that would be awesome!!!

Edit - I'm not asking for the discography to be added, my request is in the posting in the International Releases threads!
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 08:31:27PM by numero UNO » Logged

I Choose to Survive!!

chalyto
Contributor
Uprising

Collection

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 08:43:45PM »

There are quite a few sections in "International Releases" Albums/Singles. I would like to ask anybody that can, to start a thread page for the 'Europe, TASTE/PIAS' releases please. I have all I need for the BENELUX region, but I need some reference points for so called 'Italian etc etc' release. If anybody could load scans of what they have in a new thread that would be awesome!!!

Edit - I'm not asking for the discography to be added, my request is in the posting in the International Releases threads!

It would be awesome! I'm starting to collect them, but I need a reference too.
It bring me a complication, because I always put a small flag on each album, how do I make a flag of "Italy, Spain, Portugal and Scandinavia"? hahaha it should have something like the flag of Great Britain and Benelux
Cheers!

EDIT: probably like this?  :P

« Last Edit: Nov 18, 11:10:39AM by chalyto » Logged

Sp@ceh
Contributor
Hurricane

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 08:53:52PM »

Hey guys  ;)

I'll try to upload my EU (PIAS/MUSH) singles/albums, from Showbiz to Hullabaloo.
Will try to do it this week.
numero UNO
Contributor
Glorious

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 10:25:50PM »

That would be awesome Sp@ceh! Thank you so much!!

I Choose to Survive!!

cik93
Uno

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 23, 01:50:40PM »

when the discography will be updated with all Drones releases?  :-\

06.07.2013 The 2nd Law Tour - Stadio Olimpico, Roma
18.07.2015 Drones Tour - Ippodromo delle Capannelle, Roma
17.05.2016 Drones World Tour - Mediolanum Forum, Milano
18.05.2016 Drones World Tour - Mediolanum Forum, Milano
The007k01
Uno

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 25, 08:17:53PM »

Yeah ive noticed quite a few things missing but i have no idea how to add it!

London, Emirates Stadium 2013
  Exeter, The Great Hall 2015
    London, o2 Arena 2016 (3rd)
      London, o2 Arena 2016 (11th)
Irockz
Uno

Collection
I have finally realised what you need

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 09:50:17PM »

Aw, the bumps here got me excited. :p
Maxime
Newborn

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Oct 13, 03:44:47PM »

I'd love to help out for a bit!
Pretty sure I'll be able to provide scans and info of the Drones deluxe set, the Reapers RSD picture disc & the Dead Inside/ Psycho cd single. Also, I think I could add at least one specific Dutch release, which is a festival edition of Showbiz.

If anyone'd be kind enough to let me know how to do that I'll do it as soon as possible :)
symmetricalmind
Uno

Collection
I'm young but I know that I'm aroused

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jun 13, 10:28:24PM »

Hello,

This is fantastic! I have a 'Hullabaloo' 2cd version which doesn't appear in the discography section. CODE: 5050466888723. Which country is it from?

Also, there are some releases such as the ones in Benelux that aren't listed.

Cheers

23/07/2008 (Teatro Gran Rex, BsAs, Arg)
12/03/2010 (United Center, Chicago, USA)
30/03/2011 (Estadio Unico de La Plata, La Plata, Arg)
Citizen SSL
Hurricane

Collection
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jun 14, 08:07:00PM »

Hello,

This is fantastic! I have a 'Hullabaloo' 2cd version which doesn't appear in the discography section. CODE: 5050466888723. Which country is it from?

Also, there are some releases such as the ones in Benelux that aren't listed.

Cheers
Hello!
That Hullabaloo is an European 2003 re-release :)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length